Shipping, Commissions, and Returns
Shipping and Returns
How Long Does it Take to Process an Order?
Please allow 2-4 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) for your order to be processed for shipping. You will receive an email notification when your order has been shipped. Get excited!
If you order included a custom piece like a pet portrait, please allow an additional 1-3 weeks (to learn more about the custom order process, click here). I make every effort to make sure that your items get to you as quickly as possible. Please note that processing times don't include shipping time, which depends on the shipping method you choose at checkout.
What About Shipping?
I ship domestically to the entire US and to a select number of international destinations. Shipping times will depend on your location and the shipping method you select when you check out. In general, the USPS quotes, but does not guarantee, 2-8 business days for domestic delivery. You can expect international orders to take longer to ship than domestic orders.
Do You Offer Free Shipping?
Yes! All orders of $75 or more will enjoy free shipping at checkout.
My Item was Lost or Damaged in Transit. What can I do?
Oh no! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and photos of the damaged items (if applicable), and I will do everything I can to make it right. For items lost or stolen, your first point of action is going to be contacting your local post office and opening a case. Please note that items are sometimes marked Delivered early, and may take an additional day or two to arrive at your doorstep.
Where Do You Ship From?
All designs and artwork are created by me in Central Illinois, and many items like art prints and portrait prints will ship from here. However, I do work closely with a printing partner in Phoenix, AZ, which allows me to print my artwork on items that require equipment that is cost-prohibitive to purchase outright such as mugs and shirts, so many items ship from Arizona as well. Regardless of what you order, however, all items are lovingly designed, printed, and shipped from the USA.
Tell Me About Your Policy on Refunds and Returns
I accept returns on non-custom items up to 30 days after delivery, if the item is unused and in its original condition, and I will refund the full order amount minus the shipping costs for the return.
For custom items, I offer partial refunds depending on which stage of the process your piece is in;
- If you change your mind before custom work has begun (things happen!) I can provide a full refund.
- If you change your mind after work has begun, but before first proofs have been sent. I can provide a 50% refund.
- If you change your mind while the revision process is already underway, I can provide a refund on the cost of printing and shipping your piece.
In the event that your order arrives damaged in any way, please email me as soon as possible at email@example.com with your order number and a photo of the item’s condition. I address these on a case-by-case basis but will try my best to work towards a satisfactory solution.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is a Commission Piece?
Any piece that involves custom artwork like a pet portrait is considered a commission piece. Because a considerable amount of time and individualized thought goes into a commission piece, it is considered a service, so there is a service fee added in to the price. Custom items like wedding ornaments are personalized, but take much less time, so those are not considered commission work.
What Can I Expect When I Order a Custom Item?
1. Once you have placed your order, you can expect an email from me on the next business day with a request for 1-3 quality photos of your commission subject, and any added details you'd like to include, e.g. if your pet has a favorite toy. Excited and don't want to wait for the next business day to get started? Great! Feel free to reply to your order confirmation email with your details and photos, or email me directly at email@example.com. I'll happily respond with confirmation first thing on the next business day and get to work!
2. After your photos are received, there is a possibility that I might ask for additional photos. This is rare, but it may happen if the photos submitted are low quality. I want to be sure I can provide the best quality portrait possible, and good photos are key to making that happen.
3. When photos have been received, I will begin working on your custom piece. This step can take between a few business days to 1-2 weeks, depending on the size of the project and current order volume. (If your portrait is time sensitive, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a real-time estimate prior to purchasing) I appreciate your patience!
4. When finished, I will email you with a proof of your custom piece. At this point, I'll ask for any edits or revisions you'd like done. In the majority of cases, edits requested, if at all, are minimal. That said, we can tweak as many times as necessary until you're completely satisfied.
5. Once you're totally satisfied and confirm your proofs, I will do the fun work of finalizing, print optimizing, and submitting your files for printing and shipping. Print production can take between 2-4 business days.
6. You will receive another email confirmation with tracking information as soon as your custom item ships. Feel free to get excited and track your shipment to your heart's content!
7. Your custom portrait will arrive safely packed, lovingly packaged, and ready to be wrapped and gifted! Enjoy, and thank you so much for shopping small! ❤
What Do You Mean When You Request "Quality Photos"?
There is no need to rush off to a professional photographer to get quality photos, though those are always fun to work with.
Most of the time, the photos you already have will work perfectly. When I reference photo quality, all I'm really referring to is whether or not I can confidently assess what the subject looks like from the photos provided.
As a general rule of thumb;
Low Quality Photos: blurry photos, pixellated photos, dark photos, photos taken at a distance, and photos taken at an angle in which you can only see part of the face
High Quality Photos; Photos taken in natural or even lighting, photos taken at eye level of the pet, photos taken at a straight angle of the face so all facial features can be seen.
I completely understand that many pets can be notoriously hard to photograph, which is why I request at least 2-3 photos. Every photo doesn't need to be perfect. As long as I can get a clear image of your furry/feathered/scaled friend from a combination of the photos provided, we're golden! If I'm unable to do that from the photos provided, that's when I'll kindly reach out again and ask for a few additional photos.
Do You Accept Returns on Commissions?
Because commission work is a service, I can offer a partial refund on custom items, dependent on the production stage the piece is in. Every request is determined on a case by case basis, but as a general rule;
- If an order is canceled before photos have been submitted, I can offer a full refund. If there is no communication from you (photos or otherwise) for 5 business days after ordering, your order will be cancelled and your funds will be refunded.
- If you'd like to cancel once the work has begun, I can offer a partial refund depending on how much work has been done. This, of course, is determined on a case by case basis.
- If you change your mind after first proofs have been delivered, I can refund you the cost of printing and shipping your piece.
If your custom item arrives damaged, however, please contact me at email@example.com with photos of the damage and I will happily work with you to reach a solution.
I Ordered a Custom Piece from You a While Ago, but I Broke/Lost it. Can You Help?
These things happen! My policy is to hold on to clients' final files for one year. If it has been more than an year since you ordered your piece, there is still a good chance I'll have your files, but I can't make guarantees. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll be happy to assist you with ordering a replacement. All I'll ever charge is the cost of printing and shipping. ❤
I Have an Unusual Pet. Can I Still Get a Custom Portrait?
Absolutely! One of my goals is to paint or illustrate every type of animal/pet there is. Whether your best friend is a pig, a hamster, a parrot, goldfish, iguana, horse, ostrich, or any other creature in the animal kingdom, I can't wait to work on your unique portrait!
Can You Include My Pet's Paw Print?
Yes, absolutely. If you send in a high quality scan or photo of your pet's paw print, I would love to include the print with your pet's portrait. There is never an extra charge for this. ❤